Innovative Photon Manipulation Research Team
Innovative Photon Manipulation Research Team intensively studies novel photon manipulation technologies using knowledge and experiences obtained from the researches on light wave interaction with sub-wavelength fine structures. These photon manipulation technologies will be applied for three-dimensional nanofabrication systems, ultra-high sensitive molecular sensing devices, and so on. Figure (a) shows a scanning electron microscope image of RIKEN’s logo consists of a sub-wavelength aluminum structure, which absorbs light of certain wavelength determined by its size and shape. Figure (b) shows an observed image of the RIKEN’s logo under white light illumination. Figure (c) shows a demonstrated color palette covering a broad gamut of colors..
Engineering, Complex systems, Interdisciplinary science and engineering
Metamaterials, Plasmonics, Nanophotonics, Near-field Optics, Applied Optics
- Novel metamaterials such as 3D metamaterials and perfect absorbers
- Infrared spectroscopy using metamaterials for ultra-sensitive detection and identification of molecules and single molecule analysis
- Alternative materials for tunable metamaterials
- Tip-enhanced spectroscopy in the visible and THz regime
Colors created by metamaterial absorber that consists of subwavelength aluminum structure.
- Olaya, C. M., Hayazawa, N., Hermosa, N., and Tanaka, T.: "Angular Goos-H nchen shift sensor using gold film enhanced by surface plasmon resonance", J. Phys. Chem. A 125, 451-458 (2021).
- Balois, M. V., Hayazawa, N., Yasuda, S., Ikeda, K., Yang, B., Kazuma, E., Yakota, Y., Kim, Y., and Tanaka, T.: "Visualization of subnanometric local phonon modes in a plasmonic nanocavity via tip-enhanced Raman spectroscopy in ambient", NPJ 2D Mater. Appl. 3, 38 (2019).
- Su, D.-S., Tsai, D. P., Yen, T.-J., and Tanaka, T.: "Ultrasensitive and Selective Gas Sensor Based on a Channel Plasmonic Structure with an Enormous Hot-spot Region", ACS Sensors 4, 2900-2907 (2019).
- Le, H.-H.-T., Morita, A., Mawatari, K., Kitamori, T., and Tanaka, T.: "Metamaterials-Enhanced Infrared Spectroscopic Study of Nanoconfined Molecules by Plasmonics-Nanofluidics Hydrid Device", ACS Photonics 5, 3179-3188 (2018).
- Mudachathi, R. and Tanaka, T.: “Up Scalable Full Colour Plasmonic Pixels with Controllable Hue, Brightness and Saturation” , Sci. Rep. 7, 1199 (2017).
|Takuo Tanaka||Team Leader|
|Norihiko Hayazawa||Senior Research Scientist|
|Maria Vanessa Balois||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Bikas Ranjan||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shun Hashiyada||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Cheng-Hung Chu||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Maria Herminia Marallag Balgos||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Takashi Yamaguchi||Technical Staff I|
|Nobuyuki Takeyasu||Visiting Scientist|
|Taka-aki Yano||Visiting Scientist|
|Yuto Moritake||Visiting Scientist|