Innovative Photon Manipulation Research Team
Innovative Photon Manipulation Research Team intensively studies novel photon manipulation technologies using knowledge and experiences obtained from the researches on light wave interaction with sub-wavelength fine structures. These photon manipulation technologies will be applied for three-dimensional nanofabrication systems, ultra-high sensitive molecular sensing devices, and so on. Figure (a) shows a scanning electron microscope image of RIKEN’s logo consists of a sub-wavelength aluminum structure, which absorbs light of certain wavelength determined by its size and shape. Figure (b) shows an observed image of the RIKEN’s logo under white light illumination. Figure (c) shows a demonstrated color palette covering a broad gamut of colors..
Engineering, Complex systems, Interdisciplinary science and engineering
Metamaterials, Plasmonics, Nanophotonics, Near-field Optics, Applied Optics
- Novel metamaterials such as 3D metamaterials and perfect absorbers
- Infra-red spectroscopy using metamaterials for ultra-sensitive detection and identification of molecules and single molecule analysis
- Alternative materials for tunable metamaterials
- Tip-enhanced spectroscopy in the visible and THz regime
Colors created by metamaterial absorbers made of aluminum.
- Le, H.-H.-T., Morita, A., Mawatari, K., Kitamori, T., and Tanaka, T: “Metamaterials-Enhanced Infrared Spectroscopic Study of Nanoconfined Molecules by Plasmonics-Nanofluidics Hydrid Device”, ACS Photonics 5, 3179-3188 (2018).
- Le, H.-H.-T., and Tanaka, T: “Plasmonics Nanofluidics Hydrid Metamaterial: An Ultra-Sensitive Platform for Infrared Absorption Spectroscopy and Quantitative Measurement of Molecules”, ACS Nano 11, 9780-9788 (2017).
- Mudachathi, R. and Tanaka, T.: “Up Scalable Full Colour Plasmonic Pixels with Controllable Hue, Brightness and Saturation”,
- Sci. Rep. 7, 1199 (2017).
- Yokota, Y., Ueno, K., Misawa, H., and Tanaka, T.: “Spectroscopic Properties of Gold Curvilinear Nanorod Arrays”, Photonics 3, 18 (2016).
- Chen, C.-C., Ishikawa, A., Tang, Y.-H., Shiao, M.-H., Tsai, D. P., and Tanaka, T.: “Uniaxial-isotropic Metamaterials by Three-dimensional Split-Ring Resonators”, Adv. Opt. Mater. 3, 44-48 (2015).
|Takuo Tanaka||Team Leader|
|Norihiko Hayazawa||Senior Research Scientist|
|Thu Le||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Maria Vanessa Balois||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Bikas Ranjan||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shun Hashiyada||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Nobuyuki Takeyasu||Visiting Scientist|
|Yuto Moritake||Visiting Scientist|