Advances in device fabrication techniques have enabled integration of individual nanomaterials, where single electrons and single photons could be addressed. We exploit state-of-the-art nanofabrication technologies to develop and engineer optoelectronic devices with novel functionalities that can only be achieved by utilizing the quantum nature of electrons and photons at the nanoscale. We investigate devices that would allow for control over the interactions between electrons and photons at the quantum mechanical level, which would lead to quantum photon sources and optical-to-electrical quantum interfaces.
Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering, Engineering, Mathematical and physical sciences, Chemistry
optoelectronics, quantum devices, nanoscale devices, carbon nanotubes, photonic crystals
- Room-temperature telecommunication-wavelength single photon source
- Electroluminescence devices with extremely low energy dissipation
- Optical sensors with novel functionalities
Scanning electron micrograph of a suspended carbon nanotube field effect transistor
- Ishii, A., Machiya, H., Kato, Y. K.: “High efficiency dark-to-bright exciton conversion in carbon nanotubes”, Phys. Rev. X 9, 041048 (2019).
- Ishii, A., Uda, T., Kato, Y. K.: “Room-temperature single-photon emission from micrometer-long air-suspended carbon nanotubes”, Phys. Rev. Applied 8, 054039 (2017).
- Uda, T., Yoshida, M., Ishii, A., Kato, Y. K.: “Electric-field induced activation of dark excitonic states in carbon nanotubes”, Nano Lett. 16, 2278 (2016).
- Jiang, M., Kumamoto, Y., Ishii, A., Yoshida, M., Shimada, T., Kato, Y. K.: “Gate-controlled generation of optical pulse trains using individual carbon nanotubes”, Nature Commun. 6, 6335 (2015).
- Miura, R., Imamura, S., Ohta, R., Ishii, A., Liu, X., Shimada, T., Iwamoto, S., Arakawa, Y., Kato, Y. K.: “Ultralow mode-volume photonic crystal nanobeam cavities for high-efficiency coupling to individual carbon nanotube emitters”, Nature Commun. 5, 5580 (2014).
|Yuichiro Kato||Team Leader|
|Daichi Kozawa||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Zhen Li||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Chee Fai Fong||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Daiki Yamashita||Visiting Researcher|