hirayama [at] riken.jp
Terahertz Quantum Device Research Team,
RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
#W526 5F Cooperation Center,
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198 Japan
Terahertz light having both the transparency of radio wave and the high resolution of light is expected to be used in a wide range of application fields as a light source for various perspective and nondestructive inspections. We are developing THz-QCL (terahertz quantum-cascade laser), which is expected to be a very compact, portable, high power terahertz light source. Through the introduction of a new quantum subband structure and/or nitride semiconductors, THz-QCL aiming for implementation in society is being developed by performing room temperature oscillation and enlarging the operating frequency region which have been impossible so far. By developing the next generation compact terahertz imaging devices, we would like to contribute to the realization of a prosperous society in the near future.
Optical Devise Engineering, Quantum Electronics, Semiconductor Physics
Terahertz, Quantum cascade lasers, Inter-subband transition, Nitride semiconductors lasers, Molecular-beam epitaxy
- Development toward room temperature operation of THz-QCLs
- Development of watt-class high-power THz-QCLs
- Research toward realizing unexplored-frequency THz/IR QCL using nitride semiconductors
- Development of surface emitting THz-QCL
Schematic structure and operating properties of terahertz quantum-cascade laser (THz-QCL)
- Wang, L., Lin, T., Wang, K., Grange, T., and Hirayama, H.: “Leakages suppression by isolating the desired quantum levels for high temperature terahertz quantum cascade lasers” , Scientific reports 11, 23634 (2021).
- Wang, L., Lin, T., Wang, K., Grange, T., and Hirayama, H.: “Engineering of electron–longitudinal optical phonon coupling strength in m-plane GaN terahertz quantum cascade lasers” , Applied physics Express 14, 11, 112003 (2021).
- Wang, L., Lin, T., Wang, K., Grange, T., Birner, S., and Hirayama, H.: “Short-period scattering-assisted terahertz quantum cascade lasers operating at high temperatures” , Scientific Reports 9, 9446 (2019).
- Wang, L., Lin, T., Wang, K., and Hirayama, H.: “Parasitic transport paths in two-well scattering-assisted terahertz quantum cascade lasers” , Applied Physics Express 12, 8, 082003-1-5 (2019).
- Lin, T., Wang, L., Wang, K., Grange T., and Hirayama, H.: “Optimization of terahertz quantum cascade lasers by suppressing carrier leakage channel via high-energy state” , Appl. Phys. Express 11, 11, 112702 1-5 (2018).
|Hideki Hirayama||Team Leader|
|Tsung Tse Lin||Research Scientist|
|Li Wang||Research Scientist|
|Masafumi Jo||Senior Research Scientist|
|Ke Wang||Visiting Scientist|