Advanced Laser Processing Research Team
Our research team is developing advanced laser processing techniques which realize low environmental load, high quality, high efficiency fabrication of materials. In particular, by using femtosecond lasers, novel material processing techniques including 3D fabrication, surface nanostructuring, novel nanomaterial synthesis, and tailored beam processing are developed, which are applied for fabrication of functional micro/nanodevices. As one of examples of the 3D fabrication, our team successfully created a 3D complex shape of pure protein such as bovine serum albumin (BSA). Furthermore, enhanced green fluorescent protein and enhanced blue fluorescent protein were formed on a single substrate to realize a two-color fluorescence image exhibiting a RIKEN logo. The 3D proteinaceous micro and nanostructures fabricated by this technique will offer many applications including cell culture, tissue engineering, biochips, micromachines, etc.
Engineering, Materials Sciences, Interdisciplinary science and engineering
Femtosecond laser, Laser processing, Micro/nanofabrication, 3D fabrication, Biochip
- Development of laser-based 3D micro and nanoprocessing and application for fabrication of micro and nanodevices
- Development of high quality, high efficiency, high resolution processing based on beam shaping techniques
- Creation of nanomaterials and nanostructures by ultrafast lasers
- Elucidation of laser and matter interactions
(Left) Complex 3D microstructure of Bovine serum albumin (BSA）fabricated by femtosecond laser 3D printing (Right) RIKEN logo fabricated by femtosecond laser 3D printing of EBFP and EGFP.
- Serien D. and Sugioka K.: “Three-dimensional printing of pure proteinaceous microstructures by femtosecond laser multi-photon crosslinking”, ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng. 6, 1279-1287 (2020).
- Bai S., Serien D., Hu A., and Sugioka K.: “Three-dimensional microfluidic SERS chips fabricated by all-femtosecond-laser-processing for real-time sensing of toxic substances”, Adv. Func. Mater. 28, 1706262 (2018).
- He F., Yu J., Tan Y., Chu W., Zhou C., Cheng Y., and Sugioka K.: “Tailoring femtosecond 1.5-μm Bessel beams for manufacturing high-aspect-ratio through-silicon vias”, Sci. Rep. 7, 40785 (2017).
- Wu, D., Xu, J., Niu, L., Wu, S., Midorikawa, K., and Sugioka, K.: “In-channel integration of designable microoptical devices using flat scaffold-supported femtosecond-laser microfabrication for coupling-free optofluidic cell counting”, Light Sci. Appl. 4, e228 (2015).
- Sugioka K. and Cheng Y.: “Femtosecond laser three-dimensional micro- and nanofabrication”, Appl. Phys. Rev. 1, 041303 (2014).
|Koji Sugioka||Team Leader|
|Francesc Caballero Lucas||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Daniela Serien||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shi Bai||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Felix Sima||Visiting Scientist|
|Xinyuan QI||Visiting Scientist|
|Wei Han||Visiting Scientist|