Terahertz (THz) wave has the unique characteristics such as the transparency to many soft materials and their spectral absorption features. These characteristics can be utilized for many applications in various scientific and industrial fields. In this team, we are developing novel technology, science and applications in THz sensing and imaging. Especially, we have promoted the research of THz spectroscopy of macromolecules, the challenge to the control of molecular structures and functions by the strong THz fields, and the development of high-sensitivity imaging detectors for the CMB polarization measurements as well as the collaborative research and development for its practical applications.
Interdisciplinary science and engineering, Chemistry, Engineering, Molecular Biology / Genetics
Terahertz science, Terahertz spectroscopy, Terahertz imaging, Terahertz control, Superconducting detector
- THz spectroscopy of polymers and the control of molecular structures and functions
- Development of high-sensitivity superconducting detectors for CMB polarization observations
- Development of ultrafast and ultra-broadband optical-pump THz-probe systems and its applications
- Applications of terahertz sensing and imaging
(Left) Fluorescent microscope images of biopolymer (actin filaments).(Right) The number of actin filaments with or without THz irradiation.
- Naruse, M., Ando, T., Waga, Y., Kubota, R., Mima, S., Otani, C., Taino, T., Myoren, H.: “Superconducting resonators with niobium and YBa2Cu3O7−δ for Alpha-particle detectors”, J. Low Temp. Phys., in press (2020).
- Hoshina, H., Saito, Y., Furuhashi, T., Shimazaki, T., Sawada, M., Hioki, Y., Otani, C.: “Terahertz Spectroscopy for Characterization of Hydrogen Bonding and Cross-linked Structure Dynamics in Polyurethane”, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, vol. 41 pp.265-275(2020).
- Kutsuma, H., Hattori, M., Koyano, R., Mima, S., Oguri, S., Otani, C., Taino, T., Tajima, O.: “A measurement method for responsivity ofmicrowave kinetic inductance detector bychanging power of readout microwaves”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol.115, Issue. 3, 032603(2019).
- Suzuki, H., Ishida, M., Otani, C., Kawachi, K., Kasama, Y., Kwon, E., Miyazaki, Y., and Nakano, M.: “The thermodynamic properties and molecular dynamics of [Li+@C60](PF6−) associated with structural phase transitions”, Physical Chemistry Chemcal Physics, 21, 16147-16153(2019).
- Notake, T., Kamata, K., Iyoda, T., Otani, C., and Minamide, H.: “Expression of various polarization effects by using Spirulina-templated metal μcoils at the terahertz frequency region”, J. J. Appl. Phys, 58, 3, 032007(2019).
|Chiko Otani||Team Leader|
|Masatsugu Yamashita||Senior Scientist|
|Hiromichi Hoshina||Senior Scientist|
|Satoru Mima||Research Scientist|
|Taketo Nagasaki||Research Scientist|
|Yoshiaki Sasaki||Technical Scientist|
|Isao Yoshimine||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shugo Oguri||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shota Yamazaki||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|ChaoHui FENG||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Noriko Yaekashiwa||Technical Staff I|
|Hisao Kawano||Technical Staff II|
|Kodo Kawase||Senior Visiting Scientist|
|Takashi Noguchi||Senior Visiting Scientist|
|Yukihiro Ozaki||Senior Visiting Scientist|
|Hiroki Kutsuma||Junior Research Associate|
|Xiaobo Zheng||Junior Research Associate|