Terahertz (THz) wave has the unique characteristics such as the transparency to many soft materials and their spectral absorption features. These characteristics can be utilized for many applications in various scientific and industrial fields. In this team, we are developing novel technology, science and applications in THz sensing and imaging. Especially, we have promoted the research of THz spectroscopy of macromolecules, the challenge to the control of molecular structures and functions by the strong THz fields, and the development of high-sensitivity imaging detectors for the CMB polarization measurements as well as the collaborative research and development for its practical applications.
Interdisciplinary science and engineering, Chemistry, Engineering, Molecular Biology / Genetics
Terahertz science, Terahertz spectroscopy, Terahertz imaging, Terahertz control, Superconducting detector
- THz spectroscopy of polymers and the control of molecular structures and functions
- Development of high-sensitivity superconducting detectors for CMB polarization observations
- Development of ultrafast and ultra-broadband optical-pump THz-probe systems and its applications
- Applications of terahertz sensing and imaging
(Left) THz and Raman spectra of biodegradable polymer (PHB) (Right) Structural change by irradiating strong THz radiation (top: without irradiation, bottom: with irradiation)
- Tapsanit, P., Yamashita, M., and Otani, C.: “Absorption optimization of selective metamaterial solar absorbers using the analytical solutions,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B., submitted (2018).
- Yaekashiwa, N., Otsuki, S., Hayashi, S., and Kawase, K.: “Verification of non-thermal effects of 0.3-0.6 THz-waves on human cultured cells,” Electromagn. Biol. Medicine, submitted (2018).
- Yamazaki, S., Harata, M., Idehara, T., Konagaya, K., Yokoyama, G., Hoshina, H., and Ogawa, Y.: “Actin polymerization is activated by terahertz irradiation,” Scientific Reports, volume 8, Article number: 9990 (2018).
- Hoshina, H., Iwasaki, Y., Katahira, E., Okamoto, M., and Otani, C.: “Structure and dynamics of bound water in poly (ethylene-vinylalcohol) copolymers studied by terahertz spectroscopy”, Polymer, vol. 148 pp.49-60, (2018).
- Nagasaki, T., Choi, J., Génova-Santos, R. T., Hattori, M., Hazumi, M., Ishitsuka, H., Karatsu, K., Kikuchi, K., Koyano, R., Kutsuma, H., Lee, K., Mima, S., Minowa, M., Nagai, M., Naruse, M., Oguri, S., Otani, C., Rebolo Lopez, R., Rubiño-Martín, J. A., Sekimoto, Y., Semoto, M., Suzuki, J., Taino, T., Tajima, O., Tomita, N., Uchida, T., Won, E., and Yoshida, M.: “GroundBIRD - observation of CMB polarization with a high-speed scanning and MKIDs”, J. Low Temperature Phys., 193, pp. 1066-1074 (2018).
|Chiko Otani||Team Leader|
|Masatsugu Yamashita||Senior Scientist|
|Hiromichi Hoshina||Senior Scientist|
|Satoru Mima||Research Scientist|
|Yoshiaki Sasaki||Technical Scientist|
|Isao Yoshimine||Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Noriko Yaekashiwa||Contract Researcher|
|Shota Yamazaki||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Shugo Oguri||Special Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Kodo Kawase||Senior Visiting Scientist|
|Hisao Kawano||Technical Staff II|
|Takashi Noguchi||Senior Visiting Scientist|
|Hiroki Kutsuma||Junior Research Associate|
|Xiaobo Zheng||Junior Research Associate|